Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Centers & Institutes
Biostatistics Consulting Center (BCC)
Study design and data analysis for research in health, medicine, and life-sciences.
We are a cost-recovery service at IU with professional biostatisticians available for collaborating on research projects through grant-funded research or hourly billing.
The BCC is a Core of the Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute (CTSI)
Our services include:
- Study design & protocol development
- Grant development
- Sample size calculation & power analysis
- Data management
- Data analysis & modelling
- Manuscript preparation
- Review and replication of analysis ("Second statistician")
Meet Our Team
Our team consists of PhD faculty and Masters-level consultants with expertise in a wide range of statistical/epidemiological methods, statistical programming, and data management.
Our core team includes:
- Stephanie Dickinson, Manager & Senior Biostatistician
- Lilian Golzarri Arroyo, Biostatistician
- Xiwei Chen, Biostatistician
Biostatistics Associates (Summer 2019) are:
- Beate Henschel, PhD student in Epidemiology
- Chen Lyu, PhD student in Epidemiology
- Hao Fan, PhD student in Epidemiology
- Xiao Xu, PhD student in Biostatistics
Our faculty Director is Zhongxue Chen.
All faculty in the Epi-Bio department are also members of the center. Please browse the research areas in their faculty profiles to see how they can collaborate on your next project.
Most of our work (from both PhD faculty collaborators and M.S. level biostatisticians) is through collaborations on research projects where biostatics support is included in the grant (%FTE).
For grant proposals:
Faculty can be listed as Co-Investigators (Co-I) on grants for a small %FTE (3-10%) along with a Master's level staff (or PhD student) as biostatistician or data analyst with more time (10-50%). Budget will be discussed as project needs vary.
Services can also be obtained hourly with internal billing to a research account, or invoiced for external projects. The fee schedule, for Master's level professional support, is as follows:
Rates are based on actual cost to the Department and School. The fee schedule includes all expenses related to personnel and enables them to perform their duties related to the research project and carry out the mission of the center. These include use of the department's computing facilities, systems support, software, administrative support, professional travel, supplies, and telephone.
Rates for research projects outside of Indiana University contain an additional component to help support the education, research, and service missions of the department.
- Free consultation for DIY projects is available Tuesday/Thursday 10-12 in SPH C111/C113 and Woodburn 200 SSRC (Ask for a Biostats consultant at Woodburn.)
- limited to 4 hours per person per semester, 1 visit per week.
- We are also happy to help faculty with grant applications (study design, protocol, sample-size/power, analysis plan) when Epi/Bio personnel are included in the grant budget.
Support for research at IUB is also available from these friends:
- Meeting space and research resources are available at the Social Science Research Commons (SSRC) in Woodburn 200.
- Statistical software and technology support is provided by UITS Research Analytics.
- Survey design, sampling and data collection are services at the Center for Survey Reseach (CSR).
- Internal funding opportunities are listed at OVPR and CTSI.
- Stats help is also available from the .Indiana Statistical Consulting Center (ISCC) in the SSRC along-side us from Biostats.
To request services and schedule an appointment please fill out our .web contact form.
For general questions or to send files, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let us know how we can help with your project!Biostatistics Consulting Center
Department of Epidemiology and BiostatisticsSchool of Public Health-BloomingtonPH C101, 1025 E. 7th StreetBloomington, IN 47405812-855-7580