Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies

Academic Advising

Professional academic advising is available to all current and prospective RPTS majors.

Undergraduate Advisors
no image available Janet Donley
PH C006
no image available Barbara Grinder
PH C008

RPTS advisors are here to help you make the most of your time at IUB. In particular, advisors can work with you to:

  • Develop plans to meet your academic and personal goals.
  • Connect with campus resources.
  • Understand university policies and procedures.
  • Prepare for registration. The school places an advising hold on all student records so that you must see an advisor prior to each registration period.
  • Discuss whatever is on your mind in relation to your academic success.
Who is my advisor?

RPTS does not assign students to a specific advisor. Both advisors are glad to meet with any student.

How do I make an advising appointment?

Make an RPTS advising appointmentCurrent IU students may make an advising appointment using the Starnet. Be sure to have your 10-digit IU ID handy. Other students may make an appointment by calling the RPTS office, (812) 855-4711.

  • Log in with your IU username and passphrase.
  • Select “Schedule An Appointment.”
  • Type the last name of the advisor you want to see (either Grinder or Donley), and then choose the appropriate username (bgrinder or jdonley).
  • “View Calendar” and choose an open appointment time that fits your schedule.
  • Be sure to record your appointment in your own calendar. The day before your scheduled appointment, a reminder is sent to your IU e-mail account.
  • If necessary, you may revisit Starnet to see your appointment, cancel, or reschedule.


  • Advising appointments must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance.
  • Ordinarily, the advising calendar is available for the next two weeks.
  • During pre-registration periods (Oct., Nov., March, and April), students will be seen in order of seniority and allowed one advising appointment. If the appointment is missed or cancelled with less than 24 hours of the scheduled meeting, students will not be allowed to reschedule until the peak period has passed.
  • Walk-in advising hours (PH C006/ PH C008)
    • Tuesdays, 10:00 - 11:00 am
    • Wednesdays, 2:00 - 3:00 pm
How may I get the weekly RPTS advising newsletter?

Each week via RPTS listserve, the advisors send e-mail newsletters with important information on special opportunities, upcoming events, and essential policies and procedures. If you have declared an RPTS major and have been certified to SPH, but are not receiving these advising emails, you may ask to be added to the listserv by emailing Please include your full name, e-mail username, and 10-digit university ID number in your request.

Commonly Used Forms