Sport Marketing & Management Undergraduate Program
The Department of Kinesiology Sport Marketing & Management Program strives to continue its tradition of excellence in the creation and dissemination of knowledge, technical skills, and conceptual understanding of contemporary sport marketing / management to students, colleagues, professionals in the sport business industry, and to the field of sport management through demonstrated excellence in teaching, research, and service.
The philosophy of the Sport Marketing and Management Program is based on a theoretical foundation in course work with a practical application to prepare graduates for success in the field of commercial sports. The curriculum includes classes from a variety of disciplines and an internship program designed to give the student hands-on experience in the field.
Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology
Major in Sport Marketing & Management
120 credit hours with a minimum 2.0 GPA required for graduation
Students who have been admitted to Indiana University are eligible to be considered for admission to the Sport Marketing and Management Program in the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation by meeting the following requirements.
A newly admitted freshman pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology degree with a major in sport communication-print will receive an offer of direct freshman admission to the sport communication-print program if he or she meets both of the following criteria:
- The applicant must have earned one of the following minimum standardized test scores: A combined critical reading and math score of 1270 on the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) or a composite score of 29 on the ACT (American College Test).
- The applicant must have either graduated in the top 12 percent of his or her high school graduating class or earned a minimum high school GPA of 3.5.
Before entering the School of Public Health - Bloomington as a sport communication-print major, all other students must meet both of the following criteria:
The student must successfully complete at least 30 credit hours.
The student must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average (GPA) at Indiana University.
Students in the University Division must also declare their intention to major in sport communication-print to the University Division Records Office. If a student earns less than 2.0 semester GPA for the term before entering the School of Public Health-Bloomington, the student may be admitted on academic probation as long as the student has completed 30 credits and has at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- For purposes of admission, the average of the grades earned in the prerequisite courses will be used to compute the GPA. For repeated courses, the highest grade will be used in the computation of the prerequisite average GPA.
- Participation in the Sport Marketing and Management Orientation Program. After receiving an offer of admission, students are required to attend an orientation program at a time specified in the offer. Failure to attend this orientation program may cause the offer of admission to be withdrawn.
- A maximum of 60 new students will be accepted into the Sport Marketing and Management Program each year. Admission is competitive. Generally students apply during their sophomore year.
Individuals with further questions may contact the undergraduate sport management coordinator, Dr. Cassandra Coble, or the program advisor, Cindy Moore. If additional information is needed, feel free to contact the director of the sport management and sport communication programs, Dr. Paul M. Pedersen.
The sport marketing and management major develops skills necessary for entry into the sports marketplace. Employment opportunities are directed to the fields of professional sports, amateur sports, and intercollegiate sports. Our former students have assumed a number of professional and internship positions with major teams and sports organizations. Our graduates serve as mentors to our undergraduate majors and often return to campus as guest speakers in our classes. The IU Sport Marketing Alliance, to which many of our students majors belong, plays an active role in locating internship and employment opportunities for its members.
IU Sport Management Majors attending the 2014 Winter Baseball Meetings Job Fair in San Diego.
The faculty in the undergraduate sport marketing/management and sport communication programs at Indiana University-Bloomington are, from left to right, Dr. Paul M. Pedersen, Dr. Erin McNary, Dr. Cassie Coble, Dr. Gary Sailes, Dr. Antonio Williams, and Dr. Kevin Byon.
- Dr. Paul M. Pedersen, Professor (Florida State University)
- Dr. Gary Sailes, Associate Professor (University of Minnesota)
- Dr. Kevin Byon, Associate Professor (University of Florida)
- Dr. Antonio Williams, Assistant Professor (Indiana University)
- Dr. Cassie Coble, Clinical Assistant Professor (University of Connecticut)
- Dr. Erin McNary, Clinical Assistant Professor (Indiana University)
- Margaret Lion, Webmaster/Lecturer
- Cindy Moore, Coordinator of Academic Advising
- Dr. Susan Simmons, Director of Career Services
- Sarah Myers, Associate Director of Career Services
- Sarah Cady, Career Services
ServicesA variety of services are available to each Sport Marketing and Management student at Indiana University. Whether you are looking to view your Bursar, registration or final exam information, the resources are available. Looking for career advice? Check out the Career Center.
Dr. Cassandra Coble
Sport Management Undergraduate Coordinator
School of Public Health-Bloomington
Department of Kinesiology
1025 E. 7th St., Room 112
Bloomington, IN 47405