Sport Marketing & Management Undergraduate Program
The Department of Kinesiology Sport Marketing & Management Program strives to continue its tradition of excellence in the creation and dissemination of knowledge, technical skills, and conceptual understanding of contemporary sport marketing / management to students, colleagues, professionals in the sport business industry, and to the field of sport management through demonstrated excellence in teaching, research, and service.
The philosophy of the Sport Marketing and Management Program is based on a theoretical foundation in course work with a practical application to prepare graduates for success in the field of commercial sports. The curriculum includes classes from a variety of disciplines and an internship program designed to give the student hands-on experience in the field.
Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology
Major in Sport Marketing & Management
120 credit hours with a minimum 2.0 GPA required for graduation
Older Requirement Lists - Note Dates:
Students who have been admitted to Indiana University are eligible to be considered for admission to the Sport Marketing and Management Program in the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation by meeting the following requirements.
Completion of 40 credit hours of college course work that counts toward graduation. This course work may be completed at Indiana University or at another accredited institution offering comparable course work. The applicant must be in good academic standing.
- Successful completion of the following five prerequisite courses:
- Business A201 or A202 (P: A100)
- Business L201 (P: Sophomore standing)
- Business E201 or E202
- SPH P211 Introduction to Sport Management
- Mathematics M118 or A118, or both D116-D117 or M119
- For purposes of admission, the average of the grades earned in the prerequisite courses will be used to compute the GPA. For repeated courses, the highest grade will be used in the computation of the prerequisite average GPA.
- Submission of an application by the required deadline. Undergraduates are admitted to the Sport Marketing and Management Program once each year. The application deadline for admission is December 15. Students will be notified of admission no later than February 15. Grades for all prerequisite course work must be on the student’s University transcript by the end of the semester of application. Applications are available at the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation, Records Office, Room 115.
You may also apply online at Sport Marketing and Management Application Form.
- Participation in the Sport Marketing and Management Orientation Program. After receiving an offer of admission, students are required to attend an orientation program at a time specified in the offer. Failure to attend this orientation program may cause the offer of admission to be withdrawn.
- A maximum of 60 new students will be accepted into the Sport Marketing and Management Program each year. Admission is competitive. Generally students apply during their sophomore year.
Individuals with further questions are encouraged to contact Dr. Choong Lim, Coordinator of the Undergraduate Sport Marketing and Management Program. Contact the program through email@example.com.
Sport Marketing & Management faculty members Dr. Kwak, Dr. Eagleman, and Dr. Clavio meet with Joe Buck, a six-time Emmy winning sports broadcaster and former IU student.
The sport marketing and management major develops skills necessary for entry into the sports marketplace. Employment opportunities are directed to the fields of professional sports, amateur sports, and intercollegiate sports. Our former students have assumed a number of professional and internship positions with major teams and sports organizations. Our graduates serve as mentors to our undergraduate majors and often return to campus as guest speakers in our classes. The IU Sport Marketing Alliance, to which many of our students majors belong, plays an active role in locating internship and employment opportunities for its members.
There are seven fulltime professors in the undergraduate sport marketing and sport communication programs at Indiana University-Bloomington. The faculty are (from left to right): Dr. Paul M. Pedersen, Dr. Larry Fielding, Dr. Galen Clavio, Dr. Gary Sailes, Dr. Choonghoon Lim, Dr. Patrick Walsh, and Dr. Antonio Williams.
- Dr. Paul M. Pedersen - Florida State University
- Dr. Larry Fielding - University of Maryland
- Dr. Galen Clavio - Indiana University
- Dr. Gary Sailes - University of Minnesota
- Dr. Choonghoon Lim - University of Maryland
- Dr. Patrick Walsh - University of Minnesota
- Dr. Antonio Williams - Indiana University
- Margaret Lion - Indiana University
- Sarah Myers
- Cindy Moore
- Susan Simmons, Ph.D.
- Rebecca Allen
- Matthew Blaszka
- Wanyong Choi
- Dae Yeon Kim
- Jacqueline Lee
- Isabell Rhenwrick
- Alexandria Pantaleoni
- Derek Crawford
- John Harrell
- Darren Heitner
- Keith Klein
- Jarod Schoenfeld
- Indiana University Sport Marketing Alliance (IUSMA)
- Career Center
- Recreational Facilities
- Public Health Library