The Indiana University School of Public Health-Bloomington exclusively accepts applications for admission to graduate degree programs through the Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS) at www.sophas.org. The application for fall 2015 admission will be available through the SOPHAS in October, 2014. Be sure to thoroughly read all directions in the SOPHAS application. Please contact SOPHAS at email@example.com, if you have questions regarding their online application.
In addition to completion and submission of the SOPHAS application, all applicants must also complete and submit the Indiana University Bloomington Online Graduate and Professional Admissions Application at onestart.iu.edu/sisad-prd/p/Guest.do?methodToCall=start&inst=IUBLA&career=GRAD&parm1=DEGR. This duplication of application information is required for admission. The Indiana University Bloomington Online Graduate and Professional Admissions Application requires completion of an "Application Information" section. In the drop-down box for "Academic Program," select either Public Health-Bloomington Masters for master's degree program admission, or select Public Health-Bloomington PhD for doctoral program admission.
For answers to questions about our degree programs, our Indiana University Bloomington Online Graduate and Professional Admissions Application, or your complete SOPHAS application, please contact our Director of Admissions, Nelda Montemayor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only fall admission is possible for the M.P.H. degree programs, and for the M.S. in Kinesiology degree program in Athletic Training.
- Spring 2015 Admission: Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. October 1, 2014 is the priority deadline for application for admission to graduate degree programs. The application system closes on November 15, 2014.
- Summer 2015 Admission: Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. February 1, 2015 is the priority deadline for application for admission to graduate degree programs. The application system closes on March 15, 2015.
- Fall 2015 Admission: Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. International students are encouraged to apply by January 15, 2015 for fall 2015 admission to allow for additional processing time for international transcripts as well as the immigration process for admitted students. For fall 2015 enrollment, March 1, 2015 is the priority deadline for application for admission to all graduate degree programs. Applicants who complete the application process by March 1st are given the greatest consideration for admission. The application system closes on June 1, 2015.
All applicants must complete the sophas.org application, and submit:
A statement of purpose (600 word maximum) Applicants are encouraged to compose the statement in a text-only word processor such as Notepad or TextEdit, review the statement for errors, then cut and paste the final version into the text box in the SOPHAS application. The statement of purpose should describe your:
- reasons for interest in your application degree.
- research/professional interests.
- career goals.
- reason(s) for interest in Indiana University.
Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions must be sent from each institution's registrar directly to SOPHAS. Official transcripts are required from all previously attended colleges and universities. Photocopies of official transcripts or unofficial records will not be accepted. You can print Official Transcript Request Form(s) from your online application.
Non-U.S. Transcripts may be mailed by FedEx, UPS, DHL and other express couriers to:
SOPHAS c/o Liaison International
311 Arsenal Street
Watertown, MA 02472
U.S. Transcripts may be mailed by United States Postal Service to:
P.O. Box 9111
Watertown, MA 02471-9111
All non-US transcripts must be evaluated by the World Education Service (WES) using their ICAP Course-by-course evaluation service. For further instructions, visit www.wes.org/sophas. Non-US transcripts are evaluated exclusively through WES. Make sure to enter your SOPHAS ID on your WES evaluation request so that your evaluation electronically matches to your application.
In addition to submitting your transcripts to WES, all international applicants are required to submit an additional set of all official transcripts (with English translation when applicable) and a photocopy of their diploma(s) at the time of their application to: Office of International Services; Indiana University; Poplars 221; 400 E. Seventh Street; Bloomington, IN 47405. Phone: (812) 855-4306.
Three Letters of Recommendation from those who are best able to assess your ability to be successful in a graduate degree program. Ideally, your recommenders are recent professors, researchers or employers in a related field.
GRE Scores are required from all applicants for admission to IU School of Public Health-Bloomington graduate degree programs with the following exception. * GRE scores are not required of U.S. citizens with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale, who are applying for admission to the following degree programs: the M.P.H. degree program and the M.S. in Applied Health Science degree program in Safety Management or School and College Health Education. All others, please have Educational Testing Services (ETS) send official GRE scores to the IU School of Public Health-Bloomington institution code: 6979.
English Proficiency: All international applicants whose native language is not English, and who have not received any degrees from a university where English is the language of instruction, must complete and submit one of following: A minimum TOEFL score of 80, or a minimum IELTS score of 7. Please have Educational Testing Services (ETS) send official scores to the institution code: 5688.
A Curriculum Vitae or Resume is desired by most admission committee members.
- Three references and required test scores must be received before applications will be considered for admission.
- If an assistantship is desired, please complete and submit the online assistant application at: www.indiana.edu/~hperweb/assistantship/index.php.